There’s a reason the phrase “look good, feel good” is so popular. It’s true, of course. When we make an effort to make something look, it makes us feel proud and confident. This ideology easily applies to the aesthetics of your home.
It should come as no surprise that your garage door makes up approximately one-third of the front of your home. As one of the most prominent points in your home, it is absolutely necessary to maintain its aesthetic appearance and property value by cleaning your door properly. When you buy new garage doors, they usually come with a warranty, but if you don’t follow regular maintenance guidelines, your warranty can be voided. Because of this, it’s crucial to schedule regular maintenance checks
The Bare Necessities
Here are the supplies we recommend using:
- Soft, clean washing cloths
- Clean towels
- Moderate strength soap
- Large bucket
- Silicone-based lubricant
- Soft bristle broom
- Water hose
- Protective wax
- Brush away the visible dirt and debris from the door using the soft-bristled broom.
- Rinse the door using your hose’s wide-spray setting.
- Mix soap and water in your bucket and use cloths to scrub away grime from the surface—including the weather stripping.
- Use your hose to spray down the door and wash away the remaining soap and impurities.
- If your door has windows, clean them with a household window cleaner.
- After the door has dried, begin waxing the door from top to bottom using a soft, dry cloth.
- Use the silicone-based lubricant to clean weather stripping. It’s best to lubricate weather stripping every few months.
- Give your door’s interior the same treatment. Keeping the inside clean is an easy way to keep the door in top shape and a good time to check the tracks.
Washing your garage door is essential to keeping your home looking its best. It also gives you the chance to investigate for any potential hazards or problems. Should you find anything that is a safety concern or could lead to serious door damage, reach out to us. We’re always here to help.